Climate Change International Legal Regime
Sustainable Development Goals: 7, 12, 13
- SDG 7 - Affordable and Clean Energy
- SDG 12 - Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG 13 - Climate Action
About this course
The Climate Change International Legal Regime course presents the causes and effects of climate change, describes the mechanisms established by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and explains the key provisions and commitments under the Kyoto Protocol and the Paris Agreement.
This introductory course is divided into 3 modules, each including 2 interactive lessons, resources for additional learning as well as a final summary, and taking an average of 1 hour to complete. A short quiz at the end of each module allows you to verify if you have achieved the learning objectives.
The course has been developed by the United Nations Environment Programme and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research. It is made available on UN CC:e-Learn through the new UN CC:Learn affiliation programme, which highlights high-quality e-learning products on climate change developed by recognized institutions outside the framework of the UN CC:Learn programme / without support from the UN CC:Learn Secretariat, in accordance with specific affiliation criteria. The objective of the UN CC:Learn affiliation programme is to enhance global climate literacy through dissemination of high-level learning products that complement UN CC:Learn resources.
Climate change | Self-paced course | 3 hours | English
At the end of the course, you willl be able to:
- Explain the causes and effect of climate change;
- Describe the key provisions, commitments and mechanisms established by the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change;
- Explain the negotiation process and the amendments of the Kyoto Protocol;
- Define the commitments set to Annex B Parties I;
- Describe the 3 flexible mechanisms established to facilitate the implementation of the commitments;
- Explain other key provisions of the Protocol;
- Describe the building blocks and main provisions of the Paris Agreement;
- Describe relevant provisions of the decision adopting the Paris Agreement;
- Identify the first steps to be taken after the entry into force of the Agreement.