Mindfulness in Education: An Approach to Cultivating Self-Awareness That Can Bolster Kids' Learning
August 25, 2020
Sustainable Development Goals: 3, 4, 9, 16
- SDG 3 - Good Health and Well-Being
- SDG 4 - Quality Education
- SDG 9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG 16 - Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
Mindfulness is the practice of cultivating attention to foster greater self-awareness and self-knowledge about thoughts, feelings, and sensations, and how they can affect one’s actions. It is complementary to other Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) approaches related to positive learning outcomes for pre-K-12 students and educators.
This Center to Improve Social and Emotional Learning and School Safety brief
- introduces mindfulness as a strategy for facilitating social and emotional learning in school;
- explains the potential benefits for both students and educators;
- provides examples of mindfulness strategies; and
- and lists resources for learning more about mindfulness.