USAID Youth Research Evaluation and Learning Project
Sustainable Development Goals: 4, 8, 9
- SDG 4 - Quality Education
- SDG 8 - Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG 9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
This paper presents information on positive youth development frameworks and foundational principles that undergird holistic, cross-sectoral strategies, as well as other sector-specific topics. Concepts from this paper are also discussed in two other reports which have been written on the topics of youth education in conflict- and crisis-affected environments and youth workforce development (USAID, 2013). The paper addresses six key questions:
- Why should international donors invest in positive youth development (PYD) programs?
- What are the current trends in international youth development with regard to holistic, cross-sectoral programming?
- What are the most relevant PYD frameworks?
- How can a comprehensive PYD approach contribute to positive outcomes in sectors such as health, education, employment, family life, democracy and governance, crime prevention, and conflict mitigation?
- Based on existing reports, evaluations, and meta-analyses, what is the evidence that holistic youth programs can be effective?
- What are the gaps in research and the important next steps for policy and practice?